Kingdom of Ealdormere
Gules, a Trillium flower affronty argent, barbed vert, within a laurel wreath, in chief a coronet argent.
Encompassing most of the province of Ontario, Canada, Ealdormere became the sixteenth kingdom of the Known World in October, A.S. XXXIII (1998). Before this, from A.S. XXIII (1988) to A.S. XXXIII, Ealdormere was a principality of the Midrealm, encompassing several pre-existing baronies.
Ealdormere's symbols are the Trillium (a three-pointed white flower common to the region) and the wolf. These are combined in the populace badge of Ealdormere. Ealdormereans often use the term "the Northlands" as a synonym for Ealdormere (this is possibly a reference to the Canadian national anthem, or to the local popularity of Norse personas).
Ealdormere enjoys the reputation of having an unusually strong sense of "national identity" within the SCA, possibly stemming from its difficult birth and the deliberate efforts of its artisans and poets.
- 1 Rulers
- 2 History
- 3 Groups
- 4 Awards
- 5 Events
- 6 Links
In A.S. IX, then-Count Finnvarr de Taahe and others founded the Canton of Eoforwic in Toronto. This was the first SCA group in to be founded in Canada, and grew quickly. In A.S. XII, the Barony of Septentria and its Canton Skraeling Althing (both now baronies) are founded.
The Ban on Regions
The Ban on Regions, also known as King Alen's Ban or Alen's Proscription, was an edict published in the April A.S. XX edition of the Pale forbidding the use of local "regional" organizations beyond those Shires and Baronies recognized by the Crown. Combined with a change in Middle Kingdom law raising the requirements for becoming a Principality, the Ban was punitive measure attempting the halt the growth of "regionalism" in the Midrealm. Directed specifically against Ealdormere, the Ban had a great impact on Ealdormeran culture and history.
In A.S. XXVI, the first Army of Ealdormere, under Prince David I and Princess Tangwystl, marched to the Pennsic War alongside the army of Calontir. Although SCAdians from the Ontario baronies had fought together since at least Pennsic VII this was the first time Ealdormere sent an army to Pennsic under its own banner.
In A.S. XXX there was controversy over the Midrealm Crown banishing two senior peers of Ealdormere. As the debate continued separatist opinion in Ealdormere grew to the point that during the reign of Prince Mordain and Princess Aelflaeda, their Seneschal Sir Menken formed the Laws Committee in February, with the aim of becoming a Kingdom. The following year, during the reign of Princess Elisabeth and Prince Menken, a poll was held to determine if the populace of the Principality were supportive of the proposed advancement to Kingdom status - the result was overwhelmingly in favour. At the same time, at Their Highnesses' request, a referendum of the populace was held to determine if Rapier Combat would be allowed in the new Kingdom of Ealdormere. Although hotly debated at the time, the issue was decided in favour of allowing Rapier Combat to continue. It took nearly another year for Ealdormere's application to advance to Kingdom status to be approved by the Board of Directors, in Janaury A.S. XXXII.
Ealdormere became the the sixteenth Kingdom of the Known World in October, A.S. XXXIII with the crowning of King David the Greater, and Queen Elina de Braose. The full lineage of the Kings and Queens of Ealdormere is detailed in the Line of the North.
In A.S. XL, King Aaron issued a request at his coronation directed specifically at the Fighting Households of Ealdormere, encouraging them to make and wear tabards bearing the Kingdom's arms in time for the Pennsic War. Previous to this request, these Households had worn their own arms, often to the exclusion of all others. His Majesty explained the request as an effort to promote Ealdormere's arms and reputation to the rest of the Known World. Time will tell how well this request is honoured.
A number of cantons and shires have been founded through the history of Ealdormere, only to become defunct shortly thereafter. These lost cantons are occasionally mentioned in the histories or poetry of Ealdormere.
Kingdom Event Tithe
Despite controversy, Ealdormere has recently instituted a Kingdom Event Tithe policy. Currently, the tithe is $1 for every event attendee. The money raised will go directly to the Kingdom of Ealdormere for use at the discretion of Privy Council. This fee came into effect on Jan. 1, 2009.
Barony of Septentria
- Barony of Septentria homepage (Central Ontario)
- Canton of Ardchreag homepage (Scarborough-Pickering-Ajax-Markham)
- Canton of Caer Draeth homepage (Barrie)
- Canton of Eoforwic homepage (Downtown Toronto)
- Canton of Greenhithe homepage (Proto-Incipient) (Whitby-Oshawa)
- Canton of Monadh homepage (Orangeville)
- Canton of Petrea Thule homepage (Peterborough)
- College of Skeldergate homepage (North York)
- Canton of Vest Yorvik homepage (Mississauga)
Barony of Ben Dunfirth
- Barony of Ben Dunfirth homepage (Hamilton and Brant County)
- Canton of Wesbellford (folded) (Brantford)
Barony of Ramshaven
- Barony of Ramshaven homepage (South Central Ontatrio)
Barony of Rising Waters
Barony of Skraeling Althing
- Barony of Skraeling Althing homepage (Ottawa and Eastern Ontario)
The Shires of Ealdormere
- Shire of Trinovantia Nova homepage (London and Southwestern Ontario)
- Shire of The March of St. Martin homepage (Lambton County)
- Shire of Brennisteinn Vatn homepage (Sudbury)
- Shire of Noergate homepage (Sault Ste. Marie)
- Shire of Bastille du Lac homepage (Incipient) (Trenton)
The Kingdom of Ealdormere maintains many kingdom-level awards with which to honour achievements by their people. Awards generally fall into two categories: Awards carrying armigerous precedence and awards without.
A recent debate has arisen about expanding youth awards in Ealdormere to recognize specific fields of achievement.
Arts and Science
- The Award of Orion: An award for achievement in the Arts and Sciences, also conferring an Award of Arms.
- The Order of the Crucible: For achievement in Arts and Sciences, this also confers a Grant of Arms.
- The Award of the Maiden's Heart: An award for exemplary service to Ealdormere, also conferring an Award of Arms.
- The Order of the Wain: For long-standing service, this also confers a Grant of Arms.
- The Award of the Scarlet Banner: An award for martial accomplishment, also conferring an Award of Arms.
- The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer:For martial accomplishment, this also confers a Grant of Arms.
- The Scroll of Honour: An honour acknowledging "worthy deeds" by the people of Ealdormere. Given to Ealdormereans and, notably, sometimes to non-Ealdormereans, their worthy deeds are scribed on the scroll at the discretion of the Crown.
- Award of the Wolf's Cub: A youth award given specifically to children of twelve years and younger who have shown service and chivalry beyond their years as an example to all. Recipients style themselves as Wolf's Cubs
- The Award of the Queen's Favour: This honour is given at the discretion of the Queen of Ealdormere and is generally a recognition of personal service to the Crown.
- Award of the King's Favour: Likewise given by the King of Ealdormere at His discretion.
A more details on the awards of Ealdormere can be found at the Ealdormere Awards Page
A partial list of annual Ealdormere events includes:
- The Twelfth Night revels
- Step Sprightly
- Snowed Inn
- Season of the Wolf
- The Winter War tourney
- The Kid in Court children's event
- The St. Maximus' Day market
- The Lord Mayor's Market event
- The Dandelion Festival
- The Lady Mary Memorial Tournament
- Pikeman's Pleasure
- Murder Melee in the Meadow
- The War of the Trillium (also called the Trillium War)
- Storming of the Gate
- The Battle of Baron's Howe
- Barbarians at the Gate
- Feast of the Bear
- Feast of the Hare
A complete listing of events in Ealdormere can be found at the Ealdormere Events Calendar
West | East | Middle | Atenveldt | Meridies | Caid | Ansteorra | Atlantia | An Tir | Calontir | Trimaris | Outlands | Drachenwald | Artemisia | Æthelmearc | Ealdormere | Lochac | Northshield | Gleann Abhann | Avacal