Kingdom of Artemisia
Sable, on a pile between two griffins combattant, each maintaining an arrow Or, an ancient crown within a laurel wreath sable.
Geographically, the Kingdom of Artemisia covers Montana, southern Idaho, most of Utah, and western Colorado and Wyoming. It became an SCA kingdom in A.S. XXXII. It was originally part of the Principality of The Outlands, but reverted to Atenveldt when Outlands became a kingdom in A.S. XXI.
Artemisia is one of the smallest kingdoms by population (around a thousand) and covers a very large geographical area; close to 1000 miles separate the northernmost and southernmost groups, with similar distances between east and west. Many Artemisians are very geared toward long-distance travel, and it is not particularly unusual to find people day-tripping to an event 200 miles away, even in winter storms.
The biggest event of the year is the Uprising War hosted by the Barony of 1000 Eyes, when around 800 Artemisians gather for five days in eastern Idaho. Uprising features armored and rapier melees (including bridge battles on an actual bridge and a continuously-improving castle), tournaments, an extensive set of classes on many topics, and various workshops.
Coronations are held in March and September, with Crown Tournament in the following month. Coronation sees the selection of the King's Champion, Queen's Champion, and Defender of the Sable Rose. The Bard of Artemisia and the Bearer of the Shield of Chivalry are selected at Crown Tournament, and the Kingdom Arts and Sciences Champion is selected at a special event in May. In recent years, the Kingdom Archery Championship and the Kingdom Equestrian Championship are held jointly, though the event moves around on the calendar.
While Artemisia has no sumptuary laws, it does have sumptuary customs that are contained within the official kingdom law. Artemisia is unusual in that it totally prohibits metal circlets entirely -- only those entitled to wear coronets (ie., those of Baronial, Viscounty, County, Duchy, or Royal rank) may wear bands of metal around their heads. This does not apply to color-contrast decoration on helms. Furthermore, chains of fealty and spurs (which may be silver or gold) are reserved for Knights and are not worn by squires.
- Order of the Golden Gryphon's Talon Armored Combat
- Order of the Gold Scarf Rapier Combat
- Order of the Gryphon and Pheon Archery
- Order of the Golden Maple Leaf Arts & Sciences
- Order of the Golden Pillar of Artemisia Service to the Kingdom
- Defender of the Citadel Armored Combat
- Defender of the White Scarf Rapier Combat
- Order of the Strongbow Archery
- Order of the Key Cross Arts & Sciences
- Order of the Golden Sun in Splendor Service to the Kingdom
- Gryphon of Artemisia Given once per reign to exceptionally outstanding individuals
- Order of the Gryphon's Pride Youth Award
- Totally Aggresive Nasty Killers aka Artemisian TANK Corps, awarded to exceptionally large and fierce fighters
- King's Council or Queen's Confidence Service, trust, and advice to the Crown
- Golden Gryphon's Heart Service and assistance to the Crown
- Gratia et Comitas Constant Grace and Courtesy to Others
- Golden Badger Tenacious ferocity on the battlefield or in tournament
- Quodlibet winners of the various Kingdom Championships
Groups in Artemisia
- Barony of Loch Salann (metro Salt Lake City, UT)
- Barony of One Thousand Eyes (Idaho Falls and Pocatello, ID)
- Barony of Sentinels' Keep (Missoula, MT and surrounding region)
- Barony of Arn Hold (Boise, ID)
- Barony of Gryphon's Lair (Davis and Weber Counties, UT)
- Province of Arrow's Flight (Utah County, UT)
The shires of the Kingdom of Artemisia are:
- Shire of Bronzehelm (Billings, MT)
- Shire of Castelleone Nuovo (Helena, MT)
- Shire of Cote du Ciel (Logan, Willard and Brigham City, UT)
- Shire of Crystal Crags (Kalispell, MT)
- Shire of Dael Beorht (Montrose, CO)
- Shire of Draca Mor (Grand Junction, CO)
- Shire of Dragonmarch (Vernal, UT)
- Shire of Windegate (Shelby, MT)
- Shire of Otherhill (Evanston, Green River and Rock Springs, WY)
- Shire of Silver Keep (Bozeman, MT)
- Shire of Stan Wyrm (Great Falls, MT)
- Shire of Twae Linnes (Twin Falls, ID)
Major Events in Artemisia
- Melee Madness hosted by the Barony of Loch Salann, the longest running event in Artemisia
- Uprising hosted by the Barony of 1000 Eyes
- Baron's War fought between the Barony of Gryphon's Lair and the Barony of Loch Salann.
- Solstice Court by long tradition, the biggest event of Court season, hosted by the Barony of Loch Salann
|Person or group||Image|
|King||Same as kingdom|
West | East | Middle | Atenveldt | Meridies | Caid | Ansteorra | Atlantia | An Tir | Calontir | Trimaris | Outlands | Drachenwald | Artemisia | Æthelmearc | Ealdormere | Lochac | Northshield | Gleann Abhann | Avacal