A tradition is an activity that have become commonplace.Recreationists can have many traditions that are not related to history.
The SCA has many traditions, most of which are subject to InterKingdom Anthropology. Some are as simple as whether or not one should reverence (bow/curtsey) when one passes in front of the thrones if they are unoccupied, others are a little more complex. In the West, and now Lochac (as a scion of the West) it is often said that Laws can be changed, but tradition is immutable. Even so, some traditions drift out of favour, and new ones emerge all the time.
Some things should be thought of as fads not traditions (even if something lasts a few years it may just be a passing thing).
- The SCA birthday song.
- Cloved lemons (and other fruit)
- No Shit, There I Was stories
- cheering - huzzah, vivat, hoobah and wassail.
- SCA time
- Cleaning up
- White belts for knights
- The Order of the Rose
- use of "Don/Dona" exclusively for members of the Order of the White Scarf
- and many more this editor can't think of right now.