Drive the cold winter away
Drive the cold winter away is a dance from Playford's Dancing Master.
Steps and Movements Used
- Doubles left and right (DL and DR) and back (DLb and DRb)
- Turn left and right (TL and TR)
- Sides (SdR and SdL)
- Armings (AR and AL)
This dance starts with any number of couples facing up the hall, in a line one after the other.
- Holding customary hands with partners, do a double forward, then a double back again. Repeat this.
- The first man performs a double backwards, then moves down to the second last woman and turns her, after which he turns the last woman. While he is doing this the second man is leading the other men between the first and second woman, then around the first woman and down to fall inline behind the first man at the bottom.
- The first man (who is now at the bottom) performs a double backwards, then moves up to the second woman and turns her, after which he turns the first woman. While he is doing this the second man is leading the other men between the last and second last woman, then around the last woman and ap to fall inline behind the first man at the top. Everybody should now be back in their original position.
- Couples side by the right, repeat by the left.
- As the first chorus, but women performing instead of men.
- Couples arm by the right, then repeat by the left.
- As the first chorus.
The music for Drive the cold winter away is a well known song of the same name.