A barony is a large branch within and subject to the administration of a Kingdom, or Principality if there is one. They administer the branches within their borders, and have a Baron and Baroness, the ceremonial representatives appointed by the Crown. Baronies have their own baronial level awards.
Advancement to barony can only occur if the following are in place:
- 25 SCA members
- Set of officers acceptable to the Crown (and the Coronet, if applicable)
- A registered name and device
- Consensus favouring advancement by the population of the proposed barony, and the Crown.
- A baron and baroness must be selected at the time of application.
- A strong record of activity in a variety of fields of endeavour.