- make sure the fighters are authorised (and their authorisation card has not expired)
- check their armour and weapons have been inspected by a marshal
- arrange the draw for the fighters according to the tournament style
- provide heralds with information about the draw
- record who won each bout and determine the overall winner.
At the kingdom level, the lists officer may be responsible for the delivery of authorisation cards and maintaining a database of who is authorised to fight in the kingdom.
The term "lists" refers to the area on which the tournament is fought. However, lists officers have also become associated with the lists of fighters and results that they form when executing their office. Hence, the alternative title of "Keeper of the Lists" has more than one origin.