- 4 bobbins, or bottles full of water or sand, sticks, small rocks with holes in them, or any other kind of weight that can be tied on a string
- 4 strands of string
- a hook approx 2m off the ground
- two people (one person versions occur too)
- tie each string to a bobbin.
- tie other end of all 4 strings to the hook
- stand opposite each other (about 1m apart) holding a bobbin in each hand
- simultaneously throw the bobbin from your left hand to your partner, catching their bobbin.
- do the same with the bobbin in your right hands
- repeat (left hands, right hands) until end of string
- adjust how hard you pull on the string to adjust tension
- experiment with different colours in different starting positions to achieve patterns such as spiralling, straight lines along cord, etc.