From Cunnan
Jump to navigationJump to search

My understanding is that a Duke's title is Duke, but his honorific is Your Grace. Furthermore a Laurel's title is Master, but his honorific is My Lord. Before I act like a pedant and change this page I'd like to know if my understanding is correct. Any advice Cian?

  •  :^) The way I have always been doing it is that a title or position can appear without the person's name e.g the President, the Duke, and may be asssociated with a particular role or area, eg. the US President, Financial Director, Earl of Cornwall. An honorific is something that is attached to the name but is not normally used elsewhere, e.g Mr, Sir, Mrs, Dr, Master. I am not quite sure how "Your Grace" and "Her Royal Highness" fit in because grammatically they appear in a different place to the honorifics and behave differently, but can be used in isolation (ie. without the name and title). Therefore, I would probably place them in a third category. If anything, it is the form of address that you give them.
Of course, common usage may not try and place everything in nice neat boxes like that. What does HM Queen Elizabeth II's household designate they all are?
- Cian Gillebhrath 10:19, 18 Oct 2004 (EST)