Peeres in confyt (recipe)
From the Forme of Cury. PEERES IN CONFYT. XX.VI. XII.
Take peeres and pare hem clene. take gode rede wyne & mulberes oþer saundres and seeþ þe peeres þerin & whan þei buth ysode, take hem up, make a syryp of wyne greke. oþer vernage with blaunche powdour oþer white sugur and powdour gyngur & do the peres þerin. seeþ it a lytel & messe it forth.
- Peeres. pears.
- mulberes. mulberries, for colouring.
- Vernage. Vernaccia, a sort of Italian white wine. V. Gloss.
Pears in Red Wine
Serves 6 normally or 10 at feast
- 6 Pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Grains of Paradise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons Galingal
- Soak pears in the red wine and blueberries for a couple of hours.
- Take out the pears and add sugar and spices. Simmer over low heat for an hour to reduce and thicken into a light syrup
- Strain the syrup to remove the grains of spices and blueberry skins.
- Add pears and return to simmer for an hour.
YiS to medieval cooking,