Mushroom and cheese pastries (recipe)
Originally from the Goodman of Paris.
Makes 1 large tart, or 8 tartlets--3 lbs mushrooms filled 24 tartlets enough stuffing left over for 2 or 3 more.
Mushrooms of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed above; and they should be peeled, then washed in hot water and parboil; if you wish to put them in pastry add oil, cheese, and powdered spices.
- 1 lb Mushrooms
- 9oz cheese (parmesan), although less may be used if believed 9oz is too much.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (can be left out)
- Slice mushrooms and parboil (put into boiling water and cook two minutes); drain.
- Grate or chop cheese.
- Grind grains of paradise and mix up spices.
- Mix mushrooms, 2/3 of cheese, spices and oil.
- Put mixture into crust, put remaining cheese over. Makes scant 9" pie.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes at 350F.