(Redirected from Minestrone(recipe))Jump to navigationJump to search
- 5 onions
- 10 tablespoons oil
- 500g bacon pieces
- 1 medium cabbage, shredded
- 2 bunches celery, chopped
- 15 litres beef stock
- teaspoon pepper
- 300g beans soaked overnight teaspoon salt
- medium knob garlic
- 500g broken macaroni
- 5 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon dillweed
- large pinch saffron or mace (as preferred)
- 750g vegetables in season, carrots go well
- grated parmesan as garnish
- Put the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the bacon and fry for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage, celery, beef stock and beans and bring to the boil.
- Season well and simmer, covered for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes.
Once at hall, stir continuously. Serve garnished with cheese. Serves 40.