Frytour of mylke (recipe)
From the Forme of Cury.
- FRYTOUR OF MYLKE. XX.VII. X.
- Take of cruddes and presse out �e wheyze. do �erto sum whyte of ayrenn. fry hem. do �erto. & lay on sugur and messe forth.
- Cruddes. Curds, per metathesin.
- wheyze. whey.
Fritters of Milk
Take curdes and press out the whey. Add the eggs whites, and fry them and sprinkle with sugar and serve.
- 2L milk
- 160ml vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Make the curds: Heat milk to just below boiling. Remove from heat and add vinegar. Strain through cheesecloth or similar, squeezing out as much liquid (whey) as possible. This be done by holding the cheesecloth closed at the top and squeezing downward from there.
- Combine curds and egg whites. Mix thoroughly.
- Fry spoonfuls of mixture as you would pikelets.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve.
Makes ~13 pikelet sized fritters.
YiS Paul Harrison