Flemish meat stew (recipe)
Serves about 12
- 4 lbs beef chuck or round cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 Tbs parsley flakes
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 24 oz. beer
- 8 med. onions sliced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Brown meat in oil then place in a very large casserole or use two smaller ones.
- Add seasonings and stir to coat meat.
- Add beer to almost cover the meat, you may have to add a little more beer or water to do this.
- Cover casserole and bake at 300 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Parboil onions in water until soft, stir into the meat, recover and continue baking for another 1 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Make a paste of the cornstarch and a little water, stir into casserole.
- Place back in oven for 10 min stirring two or three times.
- Serve over noodles, rice, or heavy bread slices.