Boolawnee (fried leek pastries) (recipe)
From CunnanJump to navigationJump to search
Submitted by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen, O.P.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add water.
- Mix to a firm dough and knead for 5 minutes until elastic, dusting with more flour if necessary.
- Wrap in plastic film and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut most of green tops from leeks, halve lengthwise and rinse well to remove all traces of soil. Remove roots and dry with paper towels. Place flat on board, cut along length at 5 mm (1/4 inch) intervals then across to dice. Measure in cup measure and place in bowl.
- Add salt and coriander or curry and knead with hand to soften leeks.
- Stir in oil.
- Roll pieces of dough into balls the size of a large hazelnut and roll thinly into a 10 cm (4 inch) circle.
- Place 2 teaspoons of leek filling in centre of circle, moisten pastry half way around edge with water and fold over filling.
- Press edge to seal well, and using the end of a thimble (the traditional method) or a coffee spoon make little crescent-shaped marks around the edge.
- Fry 3 or 4 at a time in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot or warm. (Source mec) Makes about 32.