Real weapons in the SCA
Always make sure:
- Real weapons (knives, swords, etc.) are not be drawn at an SCA event.
- Fighting with live steel is not permitted at SCA events. If you want to do this, join a re-enactment group. Also note we are not talking about authorised rapier fighting with approved practice weaponry.
- Follow your local mundane laws with regards to carrying weapons. This may require you to have the weapons in a secure bag or container when not at an event.
- Be responsible and do not touch other people's weapons without permission, be they real or SCA weapons.
The only exceptions to the first rule are:
- In honour of the crown
- Displaying the blade ("Clear!" must be called before doing this to let surrounding people know what you're doing)
Many 'real' swords owned by SCAdians are more decorative than functional (really, who needs a sharpened sword when it isn't being used for anything more than a decoration - it is much safer and more practical if it is not sharp). These types of "weapons" are sometimes referred to as sword like objects or SLO's.