Real weapons in the SCA
Always make sure:
- Real weapons (knives, swords, etc.) are not be drawn at an SCA event.
- Fighting with live steel is not permitted at SCA events. If you want to do this, join a re-enactment group. Also note we are not talking about authorised rapier fighting with approved practice weaponry.
- Follow your local mundane laws with regards to carrying weapons. This may require you to have the weapons in a secure bag or container when not at an event.
- Be responsible and do not touch other people's weapons without permission, be they real or SCA weapons.
The only exceptions to the first rule are:
- In honour of the crown
- Displaying the blade ("Clear!" must be called before doing this to let surrounding people know what you're doing)
Due to the practise of using rattan as a material for making weapons, many 'real' swords owned by SCAdians are more decorative than functional. These types of "weapons" are often derogatorially referred to as sword like objects or SLO's.