Order of Defense
Heraldry and Regalia
The Laurel also proposed a change in spelling of the name to the Order of Defence.
The proposed regalia for the order is:
In 2014, the SCA Board of Directors conducted a survey amongst SCA members relating to various proposals on new SCA-wide martial-based awards. This included whether fencing should be included within the martial skills considered for new members of the Order of Chivalry or whether a new peerage should be created for fencing or any other non-rattan martial art. On Jan 17, 2015, they announced that fencing could no longer be considered an ancillary activity in the SCA, but fencing was not a valid path to the Order of the Chivalry. Nor would they create an additional "non-rattan" martial order.
On Feb 2, 2015, the BOD approved the creation of the Order of Defense and asked the Laurel Sovereign of Arms to register a name and device for the order. The SCA corpora still needed to be altered. The intention was for the order to be started on May 1, 2015.
- http://sca.org/BOD/announcements/rapierpeerage.html - Jan 17, 2015, BOD announcement disapproving fencing being included in any martial peerage order.
- http://socsen.sca.org/advisory-opinion-regarding-the-possible-inclusion-of-non-rattan-fighters-into-the-order-of-the-chivalry/ - Jan 29, 2015, BOD announcement about non-rattan combatants and the Order of Chivalry
- http://socsen.sca.org/creation-of-the-order-of-defense/ - Feb 2, 2015, BOD announcement creating the order.
- http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=2915 - Feb 2, 2015, heraldic proposal for the badge, name and regalia
- http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2015/04s/15-04SPECIALlar.html - April 2015, heraldric commentary