New to the SCA
This page is intended to be a guide to the SCA's version of historical recreation for those who are newbie to the whole scene. Unfortunately not everything will be here initially, but hopefully with time this will become a good place to access much of the (ever changing) information contained in this wiki.
anything that isn't answered below, feel free to ask on the Newbie Questions and Answers page.
What is the historical reenactment?
and the SCA?
joining the SCA - why? persona
Dressing the part
going to events
types of events
talking the talk
bringing the stuff
learning the crafts
fighting in diverse styles
- People who have earned a rank by being good at something are called Peers collectively, and Laurels, Pelicans, or Knights depending upon what they were good at.
- People who have won the right to rule a territory are called Royal Peers. This includes current rulers (King, Queen, prince, princess) and also former rulers Dukes, Duchessetc)
- Some people are delegated to be the representative of the rulers in an area Baron, Baroness
- Some people have been rewarded for their past services court baron grant of arms
- Officers are people who organise things withing the society (Autocrats, Feastocrats, Heralds, Marshals, etc), ,
- some awards convey a title with them, but they are very few.
- Most of the above groups of people have distinctive items of apparel that they may (or may not) wear which will mark their rank white belt, and many have specific titles that can be used to refer to them. These are discussed under each entry.
- alternate titles are sometimes used by the above people to fit in better with the culture they portray (eg Graf for Count). Refering to them by the standard english titles given above will not be considered offensive (if you are new, they'll robably be please that you even know what rank thye have).
where am I?