Kingdom of Ealdormere
Gules, a trillium flower affronty argent, barbed vert, within a laurel wreath, in chief a coronet argent.
Encompassing most of the province of Ontario, Canada, Ealdormere became the sixteenth kingdom of the Known World in October, A.S. XXXIII (1998). Before this, from A.S. XXIII (1988) to A.S. XXXIII, Ealdormere was a principality of the Midrealm, encompassing several pre-existing baronies.
Ealdormere's symbols are the Trillium (a three-pointed white flower common to the region) and the wolf. Ealdormereans often use the term "the Northlands" as a synonym for Ealdormere (this is possibly a reference to the Canadian national anthem, or to the local popularity of Norse personas).
In A.S. IX, then-Count Finnvarr de Taahe and others founded the Canton of Eoforwic in Toronto. This was the first SCA group in to be founded in Canada, and grew quickly. In A.S. XII, the Shires of Septentria and Skraeling Althing (both now baronies) are founded.
The Ban on Regions
The Ban on Regions, also known as King Alen's Ban or Alen's Proscription, was an edict published in the April A.S. XX edition of the Pale forbidding the use of local "regional" organizations beyond those Shires and Baronies recognized by the Crown. Combined with a change in Middle Kingdom law raising the requirements for becoming a Principality, the Ban was punitive measure attempting the halt the growth of "regionalism" in the Midrealm. Directed specifically against Ealdormere, the Ban had a great impact on Ealdormeran culture and history.
In A.S. XXVI, the first Army of Ealdormere, under Prince David I and Princess Tangwystl, marched to the Pennsic War alongside the army of Calontir. Ealdormere has sent an army to Pennsic under its own banners every year since.
Ealdormere became the the sixteenth kingdom of the Known World in October, A.S. XXXIII with the crowning of King David the Greater, and Queen Elina de Braose. The full lineage of the Kings and Queens of Ealdormere is detailed in the Line of the North.
In A.S. XL, King Aaron issued a request at his coronation directed specifically at the Fighting Households of Ealdormere, encouraging them to make and wear tabards bearing the Kingdom's arms in time for the Pennsic War. Previous to this request, these Households had worn their own arms, often to the exclusion of all others. His Majesty explained the request as an effort to promote Ealdormere's arms and reputation to the rest of the Known World.
- Barony of Septentria homepage (Central Ontario)
- Canton of Ardchreag homepage (Scarborough-Pickering-Ajax-Markham)
- Canton of Caer Draeth homepage (Barrie)
- Canton of Eoforwic homepage (Downtown Toronto)
- Canton of Greenhithe homepage (Proto-Incipient) (Whitby-Oshawa)
- Canton of Monadh homepage (Orangeville)
- Canton of Petrea Thule homepage (Peterborough)
- College of Skeldergate homepage (North York)
- Canton of Swan's Deep homepage (Proto-Incipient) (Midland)
- Canton of Vest Yorvik homepage (Mississauga)
- Barony of Ben Dunfirth homepage (Hamilton and Brant County)
- Canton of Wesbellford (folded) (Brantford)
- Barony of Ramshaven homepage (South Central Ontatrio)
- Barony of Rising Waters homepage (Niagara Peninsula)
- Barony of Skraeling Althing homepage (Ottawa and Eastern Ontario)
- Shire of Trinovantia Nova homepage (London and Southwestern Ontario)
- Shire of The March of St. Martin homepage (Lambton County)
- Shire of Brennisteinn Vatn (Sudbury)
- Shire of Noergate homepage (Sault Ste. Marie)
- Shire of Bastille du Lac homepage (Incipient) (Trenton)
A partial list of annual Ealdormere events includes:
- The Twelveth Night revels
- Silk Slippers and Crossed Swords
- Season of the Wolf
- The Winter War tourney
- The Kid in Court children's event
- The St. Maximus' Day market
- The Lord Mayor's Market event
- The Dandilion Festival
- The Lady Mary Memorial Tournament
- Pikeman's Pleasure
- Murder Melee in the Meadow
- The Trillium War
- Storming of the Gate
- The Tournament at Baron's Howe
- Barbarians at the Gate
- Feast of the Bear
- Feast of the Hare
A complete listing of events in Ealdormere can be found at http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/calendar.shtml
The Award of the Maiden's Heart: An award for exemplary service to Ealdormere.
The Award of the Scarlet Banner: An award for martial accomplishment.
The Order of the Wain: A grant level award for long-standing service.
A complete listing of the awards of Ealdormere can be found at http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/awards.shtml
West | East | Middle | Atenveldt | Meridies | Caid | Ansteorra | Atlantia | An Tir | Calontir | Trimaris | Outlands | Drachenwald | Artemisia | Æthelmearc | Ealdormere | Lochac | Northshield | Gleann Abhann | Avacal