Households are groups within the SCA, usually based around an interest in certain areas of SCA endeavour, or friendship groups (or both!). Sometimes a peer will form a household that includes his/her apprentices/proteges/squires. Unlike other groups, such as a barony, Households aren't based on geography (although members of a household may be from a particular geographical area), they are not official groups of the Society, and any "membership requirements" of a household are at the discretion of the household. Being "unofficial", a household cannot hold official meetings or events, but they are more than welcome to run events on behalf of the official group. They may include or exclude anybody they like, whereas an official group cannot do this.
They can be a great support network, and often the activities of the household will extend beyond SCA. Another way to look at it is that a household is your "family" and the group the village/hamlet that you live in.
You do not have to be a part of any household, and just because someone is a part of a particular household does not mean that you can't hang out with them. You can even start your own household if you want to!
Households of the Known World
- Well known households in the Kingdom of Lochac include Attica, Drakkar, DX, and Descartes. For a larger listing of Lochac households, see Groups in Lochac.
- Households in and around Stormhold include House Reverie (based around Sir Antoine le Reveur and his squires), House Woodrose (mainly an Arts and Sciences household of old broken down hacks encumbered by offspring with a few who pretend to fight once in a while when the injuries and venerability allow), Unnamed (another mostly A and S household) and the Axemen (a fighting household that is mostly demographically based around younger members with a few old, wise heads attempting to control the chaos).
- Households in Ansteorra include: House Arkham is a democratic group loosely based on medieval merchant Guilds/Households. Their interests are Archery (target and combat), Service, A and S, Merchanting, Siege and whatever else strikes their interests; House Lightning Mist is based in the Northern Region of the Kingdom of Ansteorra, with septs in the Kingdoms of Gleann Abhean and Artemesia; and a number of other households, such as Wolfstar and Inn of the Weeping Unicorn.
- The Kingdom of Æthelmearc has several great households as well as being home to the kingdom spanning Great Dark Horde and Dark Horde Moritu.
- An Tir has many active Households, including Al Khabeelah, Anacadia Artisans, Bards of Keypoynt, Caer Lutris, Clan Carn, Clan Hubert, Clan MacAndrew, Clan MacFlandry, Clan MacThoy, Company of Saint Ulrich, Crimson Star, Daffodil Consort, Darian Household, Dark Wyvern, Discordia Golden Scourge Havoc, Hawkshaven, Her Harem, Holly House, Hous Graneshavene, House Aeuganie, House Bobbe, House Daos, House Eisen, House Elphinstone, House Felix Dormans, House Ferreira, House Gremlin, House Harfleur, House Jacquelus, House Jormungandr, House Meðelstede, House Redstone, House Tensh, House of Hormones, House of Hunter, House of the Golden Oar, KaMaM, Kafilat al Matar al Mubarak, MacFlandry Guard, Manticore, Monkey House, Natt Sang, Nightmare, PWTS, Pure Wenching Tarts Society, Ravenstead Household, Red Dawn, River Dragons, Roses in the Rough, Salon Apadorus, Shipcrew, Stallarifannsk, The Iron Ring, Towne of KeyPoynt, Ulfredsheim, Valfriborg, Wolfpack
- In Drachenwald, there are many noble and chivalrous households including Brandenberg, von Wüstenburg and De Brad, as well as more social households such as Enkelhem and Brighthelm.
- In Ealdormere notable households include: House DeTaahe, House Galbraith, House Rivenheart and House Fettered Fleur. As in most kingdoms there are many, many others.
- In Gleann Abhann, Clan Marshin Fayne is a collection of five households: House Smoking Tankard, House Storm, The Barra Export Company (Ship's Company), House Ishee, and House Golden Panther. They are held together under the twin bounds of service and revelrie. House Shadow Legion is the largest household in the kingdom, but is known throughout the Known World.
- The Middle Kingdom has many diverse households including fighting households such as Darkyard, Stahlgeist, Darkmoon and service households like the Sisterhood of the Gilded Bee.
- In Calontir as in most kingdoms, there are many households. Some members have registered names and/or badges for their households, but such is not required. Amongst the households that have been created by Calontiri are: House Tÿ Wareine, Sisters of the Silver Thistle, Haus Calainar des Pennswalds, House Winter Wolf, House Farshore, House de Vernun, House Whiteraven, House Grimfalcon, House Greymoor, House Miskbridge, House Leatherwolf, House Hynnddyll, Maison de Verdegris, House Keystone, House of Hallowell, Maison de la Belle Rivière, House of the Pheasant Slayer, Maison du Chat Combattant, House Fierce, Household of the Dizzy Key, Castle of the Lost, House of the Lost Fen, House Woodshaven, House Rivencrag, House of the Rosed Arrow, House Barley Marsh, Kramolnikova, DomHafen Arianniwlog, Hrafnsheim, Household of Starrose, House of Serpent's Keep, House Silverbrand, Clann O Torr, Chateau du Lion Marin, Clan Genji and Hotel Forgotten Sea.
- In the Outlands the oldest Pirate ship in the SCA, the Barking Spyder, docks in the Barony of al-Barran.
- A number of households call the East Kingdom home, such as Bloodguard, Hous Von Halstern, Full Circle and House Three Skulls. The Sharc Pit originated in the East before spreading across the Known World.
- Atlantian households include Clan Oldcastle, House Corvus, House de la Flamme, Clan White Wing, House Bayard, the Consortium Turrium, Fallen From Grace, Ravenstreet, House Lion's Keep, Csikós Ló, and Clan Ebonwoulfe.
There are also a number of inter-kingdom households with members who live and participate in more than one kingdom, such as: