From CunnanJump to navigationJump to search
- 1lb honey
- up to 18oz unseasoned, fine dry bread crumbs
- up to 1Tbsp ground ginger
- up to 1Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ground white pepper - up to 1/2 tsp
- few threads of saffron (optional)
- few drops red food coloring (optional)
- small leaves (real or candy)
- whole cloves
- Bring the honey to a boil and skim off any scum.
- Keeping the pan over very low heat, add the ground spices and food colouring, adjusting the quantities to suit your taste.
- Beat in bread crumbs a little at a time, adding just enough to achieve a thick, stiff, well-blended mass.
- Remove from the heat and turn the mixture into a bowl to cool.
- Roll or pat the gingerbread into a square shape, 1/2" to 1" thick and cut into small squares or slices.
- Use a clove to attach a small leaf (real or candy) to each piece.