From the Forme of Cury
- Take rote of persel, of pasternak, of rafens, scrape hem and waische hem clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icoruewyne greke & hony, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard & raisons coraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel
- Serves 12 - 15.
- May be stored for a week or more.
- 2 lbs. carrots, sliced
- 1/2 head cabbage, in small pieces
- 3-4 pears, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbs. vinegar
- 2 tsp. ginger
- few threads saffron
- 1 bottle (750 ml.) white wine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbs. ground mustard
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbs. each anise seed & fennel seed
- Boil carrots and cabbage for several minutes
- Add pears. Cook until tender; drain well.
- Lay vegetables and pears on a clean cloth. Sprinkle with salt.
- Let cool, then place in a large dish or container and add the vinegar, ginger, and saffron.
- Cover (the cloth works fine for this) and let stand overnight.
- Mix the vegetables with the currants and the seeds. Place in a non-metallic sealable container and set aside.
- In a separate pot, bring the honey, cinnamon, and wine to a boil, skimming off the scum until clear. Remove from heat and pour over the vegetable mixture. # Let cool and seal.