In the 13th century Oxford University created colleges in order to lessen rioting between students and townspeople. This century also saw the foundation of the college Peterhouse at Cambridge University. Colleges were usually named after their founder or a patron saint.
Colleges in the SCA
In the SCA a college is a branch that is based at a teaching institute, such as a university. Due to the fluctuating nature of university attendance some colleges may go inactive for some months, usually summer, in the year.
A listing of colleges
- College of Bellewode -- Truman State University, Kirksville, MO (Calontir)
- House of St. Ambrose -- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, USA (Meridies)
- College of Tygre's Keep -- The Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO, USA (Outlands)
- College of the Venerage Bede -- University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, CO, USA (Outlands)
- College of Saint Katherine -- University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA (West)
- Lochac colleges
- College of Rencester -- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, USA (Atlantia)
- College of No Mountain -- Grinell College, Grinnel, IA USA (Calontir)
- College of St. Golias -- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM USA (Outlands)
- College of Scola Metallorum -- Colorado School Of Mines, Golden, CO USA (Outlands)