From CunnanJump to navigationJump to search
Animals crop up in many areas of the SCA:
- Feasts: All manner of animals, from birds and beasts, to rodents and fish, can be marinated, boiled, stewed, roasted, baked, fried, stuffed, preserved and eaten!
- Heraldry: Animals can be used as heraldic charges.
- rearing of animals:falconry
- animal products:
- skin (Leatherwork)
- fur - to line or decorate clothing
- wool spinning and weaving
- felt - made by compressing wool or fur
- flesh cooking (subtelties, or as mentioned above under 'feasts')
- feathers millinery (feathers, felt or leather can be used)
- horn - used to make a variety of objects including tablet weaving cards
- ivory - a denser type of horn from elephant, hippopotamus or walrus, prized to make carved objects eg cosmetic cases, chess pieces, statues,
- bones - make a variety of objects including spoons,needles, statuettes and games and toys (e.g. knuckebones, children's teething rings) also food setting agents eg gelatine (is this medieval?, I'm sure marrow was)
- misc - dyes (various bits from animals were used in pigments/paints and dyestuffs) eg [tyrian purple] from molluscs, perfumes (musk from deer)