(Redirected from Spanakopitta)Jump to navigationJump to search
- 2 to 3 lbs. young spinach
- 1 lb. onions
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 bunch chopped scallions
- 8 to 10 sheets phyllo, large size
- 1/2 lb Feta cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash spinach in plenty of water and chop fine.
- Mix in a large bowl with parsley, dill and scallions.
- After 10 minutes, drain and squeeze out water.
- Chop onions and brown in oil.
- Combine with other vegetables, add cheese and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease shallow baking pan with oil and line with 4-5 pastry sheets, brushed with oil and placed on top of each other.
- Spread filling evenly over bottom layers.
- Cover with remaining pastry sheets.
- Brush the top with oil, and with the point of a knife, trace the crust in to square pieces.
- Bake in a moderately hot (350F) oven for 40 minutes.
- When golden brown, remove from the oven, cool and cut.