Cheese and saffron tart (recipe)
The original recipe for this dish is as follows: "30 Auter Tartus. Take faire nessh chese that is buttry, and par hit, grynde hit in a morter; cast therto faire creme and grinde hit togidre; temper hit with goode mylke, that hit be no thikker (th)en rawe creme, and cast thereto a litul salt if nede be; And thi chese be salte, caste thereto neuer a dele; colour hit with saffron; then make a large coffyn of faire paste, & lete the brinkes be rered more (th)en an enche of hegh; lete (th)e coffyn harden in (th)e oven; (th)en take it oute, put gobettes of butter in the bothom thereof, And caste the stuffe there-to, and caste peces of buttur there- vppon, and sette in (th)e oven with-oute lydde, and lete bake ynowe, and then cast sugur thereon, and serue it forth. And if (th)ou wilt, lete him haue a lydde; but (th)en thi stuff most be as thikke as Mortrewes."
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the crust off the brie, and chop into small bits.
- Grind the saffron in the salt, and heat the cream in a little saucepan over low heat.
- Add the saffron, and stir, until the cream gets just too hot to place a finger in, or you get enough bright yellow color.
- Place the pie crust on an edged cookie sheet, or something that can catch the drippings (if any.)
- Fill the pie crust with the brie, and pour much of the cream/saffron mixture in it.
- Do not overfill the crust. Thinly slice about 4 pieces of butter, and cut them in half, and place on the top of the pie.
- Place in the oven, and bake 30 minutes, or until a really nice brown develops on the top of the pie.
- It will still be loose on top. Remove carefully from the oven, and let cool until it sets.