Barony of Loch Salann
|Barony of Loch Salann|
Per bend argent and sable a laurel wreath bendwise counterchanged.
Official homepage: http://www.loch-salann.org/
- 1 Early History
- 2 Barony
- 3 Populace of Loch Salann who have served as Royalty
- 4 External Links
In early 1977, a group of folk at a Star Trek club meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah had a guest speaker. This person mentioned the Society for Creative Anachronism. One of the locals, Ms. Claire Spencer, had been to several SCA events in Germany during her tour of duty as an American military service member. After the meeting, several participants met with Ms. Spencer and she shared what she knew with them.
Prior to March, 1977 (A.S. XI), this group met to plan a group in the Salt Lake City metro area. An undated piece of paper indicates the following:
Our Shire – “The Great Salt Wastes�?
- Seneschal – Claire Spencer (at the time KITSCA Sorcha O’Melachlin, later Ferelith MacDonald)
- Herald – Julia (Howarth) West (at the time KITSCA Rhonwen y Llysieuydd, later Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes).
- Knight Marshal – Lonnie
- Mistress of Arts – Nerissa Wilhite (at the time KITSCA Elaine of the Lion’s Tale).
- Chronicler – Jerilyn (Woods) Foster (at the time KITSCA Jerilyn of Vert Silva.
- Hospitaller – Claire and Julia
About this time the group decided on a name for their fledgling shire. They chose Gaelic for reasons not documented and the name was “am Mor Salann Fasach�?. They later discovered that this was very bad Gaelic, and when the group was upgraded to Baronial status, they changed the name to “Loch Salann�? (literally “Salt Lake�?).
The first documented meeting occurred on March 13th, 1977 (still A.S. XI).
The group held several events during the remainder of 1977 and 1978. During this period members of the group would often travel to the nearest local groups for fighter practices and events. Al-barran (Kingdom of the Outlands), which is Albuquerque, New Mexico was a common destination for the fledgling group.
The new group was extremely active and held or participated in an event or demo nearly every month in 1977 and 1978.
The Shire of am Mor Salann Fasach became a Barony on December 30th, AS XIII (1978). Founding Baroness was Ferelith MacDonald (Claire Spencer) and her brother, Sir Robert de Spencer (Robert Spencer) was selected as Founding Baron. Regretfully, Claire moved to Vernal, Utah for a job opportunity and had to give up her role as Territorial Baroness. Her successor was Leah de Spencer (Leah Spencer), Baron Sir Robert’s wife and was invested at the Dragon Friend Tourney in Caer Ben Dragon (Ogden, Utah) on August 9, AS XV.
List of Ruling Baronage
- AS XIII - AS XV: Baron Robert de Spencer and Baroness Ferelith MacDonald
- AS XV - AS XXV: Baron Robert de Spencer and Baroness Leah de Spencer
- AS XVI - XVII (six months): Vicaress Jerilyn of Vert Silva -- While Their Excellencies Robert and Leah were Prince and Princess of the Outlands
- AS XXV – AS XXVII: Baron Brion Anthony Uriel Tarragon and Baroness Anna Ophelia Holloway Tarragon
- AS XXVII – AS XXXII: Baron Sakura no kita Maikeru and Baroness Katlin Yelisveta Savarasova
- AS XXXII - AS XXXIV: Baron James Ulrich MacKellar and Baroness Rachel Ashton
- AS XXXIV – AS XXXVI: Baron Niccolo Gianfigliazzi de Genovese and Baroness Ellyn Coffinbury
- AS XXXVI – AS XXXVIII: Baron Timmur Jochen and Baroness Tianna ni Coimin
- AS XXXVIII – AS XXXIX: Baron Tryggvar Halfdan and Baroness Brenna Campbell
- AS XXXIX – AS XLI: Baron James Ulrich MacKellar and Baroness Rachel Ashton
- AS XLI (four months): Vicar Morgan Blaidd Du
- AS XLI – AS XLIII: Baron Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon and Baroness Qamar an Nisa al Anatolia
- AS XLIII - Present: Baron Ryryd ap Gwyrstan and Baroness Anna de Brabant
- Crystal of the Salt Waste (Armigerous): Granted for outstanding service to the Barony.
- Laboring Artists Recognition Company (LARC): Granted for excellence in the Arts and Sciences. Registered with the College of Heralds in 2003 as the "Order of the White Lark".
- Devoted and Unique Company of Keepers (DUCK): Granted for noted service to the Barony. Registered with the College of Heralds in 2003 as the "Order of the White Duck".
- Order of the Crystal Heart: Granted for personal service to the Baroness of Loch Salann.
- Order of the Golden Reflection: Granted for outstanding representation of the Barony beyond it’s borders.
- Fighters Awarded for Laboring towards Chivalry or Nobility (FALCON): Granted for excellence in fighting. Registered with the College of Heralds in 2003 as the "Order of the White Falcon".
- Order of the Ermine and Gauntlet: Granted for excellence in late period fencing.
- Order of the Ermine and Quill: Granted to outgoing Baronial officers after fulfilling a successful two-year term.
- Order of the Fons Animae: Granted for outstanding effort to teach others in the arts and culture of the Society.
- Companions of Young Gentles Nurturing Emerging Talent (CYGNET): Presented to outstanding youth of the Barony. Registered with the College of Heralds in 2003 as the "Order of the White Cygnet".
- Baronial Arms: Per bend argent and sable, a laurel wreath bendwise counterchanged.
- Populace Badge: Per bend argent and sable, six ermine spots per bend gemel counterchanged.
- Order of the Crystal of the Salt Wastes: Sable, a plate within a bordure Or.
- Wordcrafter’s Guild: Per bend argent and sable, in fess a penner and inkhorn counterchanged.
- Baronial Players of Loch Salann: Per fess embattled ermine and sable, two theatrical masks conjoined gules and a sun Or eclipsed sable.
- Baronial Artisans League: Sable, an arm embowed vested at the shoulder holding on an open palm a string of pearls, a bordure argent.
- Baronial Guard: Sable, a sinister arm embowed vested at the shoulder sustaining by the blade a sword bendwise, a bordure argent.
- Musician’s Guild of Loch Salann
- Apprentices: Gules, a rebec Or.
- Journeymen: Gules, a rebec within a bordure Or.
- Masters: Gules, a rebec within a bordure embattled Or.
Households of the Barony
- Hastle Castle: Earliest documented household (from in am Mor Salan Fasach days).
- Hempffe House: Freebooter's house, headed by Sir Gerald fitzGerald and Lady Catherine van der Knacker.
- Hildesdottir: Norse ladies household. Very influential.
- Hold Tyte: The household of Visc. Robert de Spencer and Visc. Leah de Spencer.
- Clan Shiotani: Household for those with interest in Japanese persona, culture and history. Sir Sakura no kita Maikeru is the head of the house.
- Duchy Argos: Household of Duke Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon. Fighting household.
- Duchy Rook: Household of Duke Timmur and Duchess Tianna. Fighting/Service household, Mongol and Asian emphasis.
- Barony Ashton: Household of Baron Ulrich and Baroness Rachel. Service household. Also known for "family-friendly" encampments.
- Domus Opus: Household of THL Raven MacLeod and THL Sajah Ishfahani. Service/fighting household, known for providing the Kingdom and the Barony numerous award scrolls.
- Caer Blaidd Du: Household of Baron Morgan Blaidd Du. Service household.
This is not a complete list! Additional household listing are desired!
- The Musician’s Guild of Loch Salann. Headmistress is Baroness Anne de Junius, OL. This is the longest continuously operating guild in Artemisia.
Keynote Reoccuring Events
- Baronial Defender Tourey/Baronial Birthday: Held in March to honor the creation of the Salt Lake City group (March 13, 1977). Tournaments are held for heavy armored, rapier and archery champions. The consort of the winners of the three tournaments are known as ‘Lady (or Lord) Shrimp-bait’ as the purpose of the tournaments is to select champions from Loch Salann to set forth and destroy the Great Brine Shrimp ( also known as the great saline-swilling demon decapod ). This tournament may be the most hotly contested in Loch Salann.
- Melee Madness: The longest-running annual event in Artemisia, and has been autocratted for two decades by Baron Sir Michael the Lucky of Lancaster. The event is held at the Castle Theatre east of the Utah Mental Hospital on the last weekend of May or the first weekend in June. The theatre is built into the foothills of the Wasatch Front mountains. The theme of the event is melee fighting. Fights must be at least two on one or more. The site has stone ramps, stairways and court for some of the most realistic siege fighting that can be found in Artemisia.
- Baroness’ Champion/Baronial Arts and Sciences: Held in October. Tournaments are held for the heavy armored and rapier fighers for the honor of being the Baroness’ personal champion for the next twelve months. This is a position of great honor. Also, the Barony of Loch Salann is known for tough competition and judging of the Art and Sciences. The victor serves as the Arts and Sciences Champion until the following October.
- Winter Solstice Court: A high court event held on the first or second weekend of December. At this event, the Baron and Baroness provide gifts to their populace, “pay�? their officers, musicians, court and guards. The feast is generally a five to seven remove affair. Until recently a tradition of this event was an Order of Precedence processional of the members of the Barony. Unfortunately, now that over 200 members regularly attend Solstice Court, it is unlikely that this tradition will be continued.
Populace of Loch Salann who have served as Royalty
- Brion and Adrianna: King and Queen of Atenveldt. 1 June 1985. Note: Queen Adrianna passed to Avalon during this reign.
- Brion and Anna : King and Queen of Atenveldt (7 times ). Humorously referred to as the "once and every other King of Atenveldt" along with Trelon of the Wood.
- 7 June 1986, 6 June 1987, 4 June 1988, 2 September 1989, 2 March 1991, 5 March 1994 and 2 March 1996.
- Brion and Anna: King and Queen of the East. (twice).
- Kveldulf and Briony of Windermere: King and Queen of Atenveldt. 5 December 1987
- Thorfinn Kodoson and Sarah Thomasyn: King and Queen of Atendveldt (twice).
- 1 September 1990 and 7 September 1991
- Thorfinn "the Just" and Sarah Thomasyn: King and Queen of Artemisia. 12 July 1997.
- Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon and Kassandra Eymann: King and Queen of Artemisia. 9 January 1999
- Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon and Caryn von Katzenberg: King and Queen of Artemisia (twice).
- 8 January 2000 and 12 March 2005
- Timmur Jochen and Tianna ni Coimin: King and Queen of Artemisia. 9 September 2006
- Ralph Bigod and Kassandra Eymann: King and Queen of Artemisia. 10 March 2007
Dates are the date of investiture.
- Robert de Spencer and Leah de Spencer: Prince and Princess of the principality of the Outlands.
- William Gallowglass and Caryn von Katzenberg: Prince and Princess of the principality of the Outlands.
- Kveldulfr and Katlin Yelisveta Savarasova: Princess of the Outlands.
- Thorfinn the Just and Sarah Thomasyn: Prince and Princess of the principality of Artemisia. 16 July 1988
- Raphael "the Rogue" and Kerij-e: Prince and Princess of the principality of Artemisia. 8 July 1989
- Brion and Anna Ophelia: Prince and Princess of the principality of Artemisia. 11 July 1992
- Seonin Irontree and Morgan: Prince and Princess of Artemisia. 10 July 1993
- Olaf and Cerys: Prince and Princess of Artemisia. 9 January 1994
- Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon and Kassandra Eymann: Prince and Princess of the principality of Artemisia. 6 July 1996
- http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/sca/lshist.htm -- Much of the information concerning the early history of Loch Salann will be found in expanded form on this excellent website managed by Mistress Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes. Includes photos of very early flyers for revels as well as photos of early events.
- http://www.artemisia.sca.org/champions.htm -- From the Official Artemisia website. Listing of the Kings and Queens of Artemisia and Their courts.
- http://www.artemisia.sca.org/championsFormer.htm -- From the Official Artemisia website. Listing of Atenveldt, Outlands and Artemisian Royalty during Artemisia's days as crown lands and principality of Atenveldt.
- http://loch-salann.org/index.html -- Official Loch Salann Webpage