From the Forme of Cury.
- FONNELL. XX.III. II.
- Fonnell. Nothing in the recipe leads to the etymon of this multifarious dish.
- Lombe. Lamb.
- thridde. Third, per metathesin.
- yfasted and ystyned.
- cleeue. cloven.
- ypaunced. pounced.
- yfoundred. melted, dissolved.
Modern Recipe 1
- 1 cup ground almonds.
- 2 cups water
- roast lamb - about 1.5 kilos, used the 'easy carve' roast leg of lamb.
- small birds - ie., spatchcock or something similar.
- 4 hard boiled eggs.
- 2 TBS sugar.
- 1 tsp salt.
- Make up the almond milk by adding 2 cups of boiling water to the 1 cup of ground almonds. You can strain the almond milk for a thinner mix; depends if the almonds are very finely ground. Roast the lamb - I'd inserted quartered cloves of garlic into the meat and added salt/pepper. Roast until done. The recipe calls for small roasted birds - when trialling, we didn't have any. The roast birds are used for decoaration on the finished dish.
- Hard boil the eggs, and when done, peel, take out the yolk, and slice the yolk in half. The yolks are garnish for the finished dish.
- When the lamb roast is done (to pink in the middle), take it out of the oven and carefully cut it into small cubes - about 1 inch in diameter (basically into pieces which would be easily picked up with the fingers). Put the almond milk into a saucepan, and bring to boil, simmer gently to thicken. Add the chunks of the roast lamb. At this point, add the sugar, about 1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon and the salt. Adjust seasoning to taste - the lamb and almond milk will be fairly sweet themsleves (just be aware of this if adding additional sugar).
- Put into seving dish. It should be a fairly thick pottage. If you are organised enough to have the small roasted birds, set them on top of the dish. Add the halved egg yolks (which have been 'dusted' with cinnamon) as garnish. The recipe calls for alkanet to be dissolved and dropped on to the dish with a feather. Alkanet is poisionous. Best to use red food dye if desired to add a bit of flair to the dish!
Modern Recipe 2
- 3 TBS ground almonds.
- 2 cups hot water.
- 1 kilo roast lamb, cut in to bite size pieces.
- 6-8 garlic cloves, chopped.
- 1 kilo chicken pieces, roasted.
- 5 hard boiled eggs.
- 1/2 tsp sugar.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- pinch cinnamon.
- Make almond milk by butting almond meal and water in blender and blend well. Strain though fine sieve.
- Reheat lamb pieces in sauce pan. Add garlic and simmer 2 minutes. Mix in almond milk, sugar and salt and cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Place Chicken pieces on serving platter, add lamb mixture and garnish with egg yolks and cinnamon.
Done by a visitor to the Victorian Cook's July meeting. Thank you Adrian.