Filetes in galyntyne (recipe)
From the Forme of Cury.
- FYLETTES OF GALYNTYNE. XXVIII.
- Take fylettes of Pork and rost hem half ynowh smyte hem on pecys. drawe a lyour of brede and blode. and broth and Vineger. and do �erinne. see� it wele. and do �erinne powdour an salt an messe it forth.
- Fylettes. Fillets.
- of Galyntyne. In Galyntyne. Contents, rectlus. As for Galentine, see the Gloss.
- powdour. Other MSs specify "powdour of peper" or "powdour fort".
First Modern Recipe
- 2 lb. pork butt steaks (cut from the boneless part of the shoulder)
- 1 1/2 c. plain beef broth, seasoned only with salt
- 1/4 c. fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. fresh pig's blood (or any other fresh blood)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- Optional: 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- optional: a little ground long pepper, cubebs, mace, and/or cinnamon (cassia)
- Broil steaks (either on spits over a fire, or on a grill, or under an oven broiler if need be) until browned on the outside but still soft inside. Do not cut them to see if they are still red and juicy—that would spill the juices, and besides you'll find out soon enough.
- While the steaks are cooling, mix the broth, crumbs, blood, and vinegar, and strain through a large strainer with a medium mesh. Do not try to use a fine strainer for this.
- As soon as the steaks are almost cool, cut in fairly small slices.
- Heat the meat (with the juice that ran from it) in the strained broth mixture over medium heat, then simmer over low heat, covered, for about an hour. Stir once in a while to test thickness and make sure it isn't sticking to the bottom. If needed, add more broth or else more crumbs to make it somewhat thick but still runny enough to stir easily.
- Add spices and salt, tasting for seasoning. Cook as needed until the meat is tender.
- Serve it forth.
For default of blood, color it with a little saunders, and add more bread crumbs and a bit more broth to replace the blood.
Second Modern Recipe
- 1 Kg Tenderlion Pork Roast
- 4 c Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 c Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 c Breadcrumbs
- 1 TB of the following Strong Powder Mix
- Cut Roast into slices. Place in baking tray, spray with olive oil and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes in 220C oven.
- Remove and cut meat into bite slice pieces.
- Combine with broth, juices and rest of ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hour.