Estonia is located on the Baltic sea. The language spoken is Estonian, however historically German was also spoken. (The oldest known Estonian text is a Lutheran catechism with German and Estonian parallell texts.)
The Estonians claim to be the longest settled people in Europe, tracing their origins back almost 5,000 years. The oldest known settlement site in Estonia dates from the middle stone age. Estonia was one of the last places in Europe to be Christianised, being largely pagan at the end of the 12th century.
In 1193 Pope Celestine III called for a Crusade against the pagans of Northern Europe, resulting in an invasion by Teutonic Knights from Germany. By the early 13th century Estonia had been completely conquered. From this point on the ruling class were German speaking.
Tallinn, the modern day capital of Estonia, joined the Hanseatic League in 1285.
Your persona is Estonian
- During the Viking era, you may have been a raiding pirate and possibly a pagan.
- You may wish to use Estonian alternate titles for your persona.
- Until the 13th century, it is likely you would have spoken Estonian, however as minor nobility you would have also known Latin and German.
- Dates from the History of Estonia
- The History of Written Estonian
- [http://arhipel.hiiumaa.ee/norfa/abstracts/petersburg/38.html Stone Age Archaeology in Inner-