Ember Day Tart (recipe)
Submitted by Baron Hrolf Herjolfssen, O.P.
- 225 g onion (8 oz), skinned and halved
- 10 leaves of French sage (or 1/2 teaspoon dry)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 225 g (8 oz) cream cheese
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 25 g (1 oz) sugar
- 25 g (1 oz) raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pieces of ginger (per taste)
- 225 g (8 oz) shortcrust pastry (or 1 sheet of pre-rolled)
- Parboil the onion, sage and parsley in 1 litre (1 1/2 pints) of water (takes 2 to 5 minutes).
- Drain well and chop finely.
- Mix together with non-pastry ingredients.
- Line a pie dish with the pastry.
- Bake in a pre-- 40 minutes.
This only makes one tart that will give a medium portion to about 10 people. It is adapted from a 15th Century recipe by a "Cooking with Onions" book.