Cunnan:Old Village pump discussions (moved 2014)
Personas and households
Moved to Cunnan:Manual of Style.
Moved to Cunnan:Manual of Style
See Also / External Links
Added to the Cunnan:Manual of Style
Moved to Cunnan:Manual of Style.
The spammers are still creating accounts (and in some cases pages). Other wikis use SCA-based knowledge as part of the Catchpa for account creation. Any thought on this as an option to reducing the spam accounts?
- Obviously we can't give the answers here, but what sort of questions? SCA ones like "The first SCA kingdom was the Kingdom of the ......?" or "The three peerages are the Orders of Chivalry, the Laurel and the ....."? Or historical ones like "the Church of England was founded by King ..... VIII" or "an invasion of England is depicted in the Bayeux ....?
- You need to think about who is going to want to contribute - experienced SCAdians, new SCAdians who may not know the answers, or people from other groups who may not know the SCA much? Who is the target audience for the wiki? Who are the stakeholders for this knowledge sharing?
- - Cian Gillebhrath (talk) 13:22, 22 February 2013 (EST)
Spamming, Users and how to deal with it.
Currently all new users need to create an account with a ReCatchpa, with to confirm their email. Once this is done users can edit freely. However, there are still some accounts that may be spammers. So I'm thinking of making emailConfirmed Users have to do ReCatchpa and adding another level of user group for regular users that have created or edited 10 pages that don't have to ReCatchpa. The Admins or Bureaucrats could move them to that group once the quota was reached. Any thoughts or comments? --yves (talk) 15:52, 1 February 2013 (EST)
- The number of fake members certainly seems to be down. However, many new editors don't do more than just their branches/households page. I can't see many of them working on 10 pages. Also, unless you have a good way of marking it, I don't think the Admins would be willing to reassign the members. This isn't a forum so there isn't constant supervision. Also, how would the new group be any different?
- - Cian Gillebhrath (talk) 19:04, 6 February 2013 (EST)
- Is there a way to add the ReCatchpa to the first few edits of any user account and have the system automatically remove the ReCatchpa after a variable number of edits thereby eliminating the need for administrators to create, maintain or reassign members to various groups?--Khaentlahn (talk) 02:26, 11 May 2013 (EST)
Hey there, I forgot that I can't delete pages since I'm not a moderator. I moved the content from Gunnar Redboar to the user page, but the old page persists. Also, as per discussion on the Ginger Wine page, there are a few wine recipes that should probably be deleted as well. AlexandreDavigne (talk) 01:37, 2 March 2013 (EST)
- Well, if you can't delete then perhaps we should change your status to administrator (what we call mods). While I imagine I can still do it as bureaucrat (ubermod), as the nominator I don't want to jump in.
- Alexandre has been editting since 2006 and made a valuable contribution to Cunnan. Any complaints?
- - Cian Gillebhrath (talk)
- Since no-one objected, I have promoted Alexandre. Welcome to the powers of a moderator. - Cian Gillebhrath (talk) 09:16, 13 March 2013 (EST)
Upgraded and extended
The software has been upgraded to the latest version (1.20.2), and various extension have been added to hopefully reduce the level of spam. Yves de Lyle 21:13, 25 Jan 2013 (EST)
Up and Running again
It appears that Cunnan has been down for awhile, but is now up and running again. If you discover any errors, faults or such with the software. Please message myself. If it is an error in the text of the wiki, then by all means edit and correct the oversight. Yves de Lyle 21:46, 16 Jan 2013 (EST)