Cunnan:Old Village pump discussions (moved 2003)
This page contains old discussions from the Village pump. If you need to talk about these issues again please do so there and not here.
- I'm pretty sure that SCA Australia retains the copyright for SCA membership form, unless we've got authorisation.
- Hmmm, they do but the article only links to a copy of the form (as in its never actually been uploaded to Cunnan). Also, the article should probably have information about where to get the forms (not everyone needs the Aussie one) and what not as opposed to just being a copy of the form. - Tobin 12:14 23 Jul 2003 (EST)
- So it's OK to link images stored externally? We should probably just link to the membership page - document names tend to change. Morgant 14:14 23 Jul 2003 (EST)
Here's an interesting thought: How about finding slightly older and stalled projects and redoing them here? Things like the University Handbook http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/unvstart.htm
I'm not saying we steal their work or try to "take over" but these kinds of topics could benifit from having a free wiki version. - Anon
- I'll be upgrading the Wiki Software Cunnan is running later today 13-Aug-2003. So the wiki might not be useable for an hour or so around 8pm AEST (though it should only take a few minutes). You can take a look at what the upgraded software looks like at http://www.wikipedia.org - Tobin
- The software upgrade is now done. The edit times for pages is slightly off at the moment because the new software seems to think it is in the US - Tobin
- Beth would like to see the default, ugly, skin to Cologne Blue so that non-logged in visitors dont have to look at the site in an ugly format. Unless people object I'll make the switch at some point in about a weeks time (or I might even whip up a new skin that just has the basics and no extra fluff). You can set which skin you are using on Special:Preferences - Tobin 02:13, 26 Aug 2003 (EST)
- I've turned on the page category feature so now you can add [[category:foobar]] to an article to add it to category "foorbar". These category links should be added to the very top of articles (they are invisible once the page has been saved). Take a look at Special:Categories to see the categories i've already set-up. I wont add the category instruction to the help pages until more of the articles are categorized - Tobin 22:03, 29 Aug 2003 (EST)
Slow page loading
Can something be done about the pages reloading? it took me 3 hours to upload 10 articles tonight - every one had to be re attempted 2-3 times, dude to :
The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
it isn't me as the rest of the net flies. is it the SCA.org.au server? can you guys change host?
very annoying! - (this edit took 5 tries!)
- Yeah this really does suck, the rest of the stuff on sca.org.au loads fine because it doesn't put as much strain on the server as the wiki software. When the server stops being spam bombed things should get better. I can put the wiki into "miser mode" but then things like Special:Wantedpages and the full text search wont be turned on. - Tobin 00:05, 16 Sep 2003 (EST)
SQL admin stuff
- I've turned off the direct SQL query tool for admins. Its never been used, as far as I can tell, and playing with it will only slow the database down anyway. If anyone needs to use it for what ever reason let me know and I'll turn it back on. - Tobin 22:42, 16 Sep 2003 (EST)
As this is a wiki devoted to medjeeval junk, why do we need to say 'in peroid' or 'the period' form, it's just pox. how about 'a common use' or 'examples show' instead. it's farkin irritating.
- You're right it is annoying. I dont know why other users do it but most of the time I add "in period" to make sure people dont get confused with how it is done now or in the SCA. It is kind of redundant though... - Tobin
- I think medjeeval is the operative word in this debate- In writing stuff up, we need to distinguish between what was done in medieval times, and what is done by people in SCA/metal weapons/renfair. Period is a quick & easy SCA-centric term that fits the bill. My personal beef with 'period' is that it's a massive cop-out - we should be saying things like (for example) 'Archaeological evidence shows that Lombards used rubber chickens in the early 12th century' in preference to 'Rubber chickens are period'. Do we want to add something to the Cunnan style guide about this? Morgant
At the time of writing this i have wittled down the none written articles. there was a few that had been linked 8 times, and now all that remains is 219 with only 2 links or less.
i will continue to work on these. - Ben
- Good work! Feel free to keep working through the list but perhaps it would be better if you found a topic you know much about and wrote several long, useful articles about that topic. Its good that you are helping shorten the list but articles with more flesh are even better. - Tobin