Crustardes of flessh (recipe)
From the Forme of Cury.
- CRUSTARDES OF FLESSH. XX.VII. XIIII.
- Crustards. Pies.
- peiouns. pigeons. V. ad No. 48.
- veriaws. Verjuice.
- helde it. pour, cast.
- pigeons or small birds (didnt have pigeons or small birds, so I just used a chicken)
- 1 cup good Stock
- 1 Tablespoon verjuice
- pinch saffron
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon galingale
- salt (as needed, my stock was salty enough)
- 2 eggs
- pastry for pie and top
- boil chicken in stock and verjuice. Meanwhile, prepare pastry crust for pie.
- when chicken/fowl is done, pour off any excess liquid. Add currants and spices, pour into pastry case. Beat eggs and pour over filling. Top pie with second piece of pastry. Slash top crust to allow venting.
- Bake at 210 C for 40 minutes.