Caboches in potage (recipe)
From the Forme of Cury
- CABOCHES IN POTAGE. IIII.
- Caboches. Probably cabbages.
- corue smale. Cut small. V. i corue in Gloss.
- powdour douce. Sweet aromatic powder. V. Pref.
- 1/4 head of cabbage.
- beef stock .
- 3 small onions.
- 1 leek - white bit only.
- Powder douce - I've seen lots of variants - I used ginger, cinnamon, pepper, cloves - predominantly sweet (cinnamon) flavour.
- Roughly chop the cabbage. Mince the onions. Wash the leek and slice thinly. Add all of these in a large stock pot and cover with beef broth (stock cube is OK). Add a pinch of saffron.
- Cook until soft (about 45 minutes). Adjust the salt if necessary (depends on the stock cube!).
- When serving, sprinkle lightly with powdour douce.