Barony of al-Barran
Error creating thumbnail: File missing
Sable, a chevron argent, overall a scorpion and in base a laurel wreath, both Or.
The Barony al-Barran is in the SCA Kingdom of the Outlands and located mundanely in and around Albuquerque, NM. The borders of the Barony extend north to Algodnes, east to Moriarty, south to Belen and west to Grants. On its borders sits the Shire of Dyrgestan to the north, the Shire of Blackwater Keep to the east, the College of Saint Golias to the south, and the Barony of Fontaine dans Sable to the west. Al-Barran is one of seven Baronies in the Kingdom and predates the creation of the Outlands as a Kingdom by 10 years. Within the Barony the College of Blaiddwyn located at the University of New Mexico has come to thrive and contribute greatly to the success of al-Barran as a whole. The Barony currently consists of approximately 500 members active across all the areas of the SCA.
On November 11, A.S. X (1975), the Barony of al-Barran was established in the Kingdom of Atenveldt with Sir Raymond the Quiet as the first Baron May 29, 1976. Among other claims to fame al-Barranians were the first Prince and Princess as well as the first King and Queen of the Outlands. In the development of the Outlands an al-Barranian sat as Prince and Princess 11 times during the Outlands time as a Principatily. Since becoming a Kingdom unto itself 21 Kings and Queens have hailed from the Barony.
Barons and Baronesses of al-Barran
- Raymond the Quiet (Founding Baron) and Rodema de Rohan (Baroness by courtesy) May 29, 1976 – February 28, 1981
- Stefan of the Wanderers (Vicar) and Beau Marishka (Vicaress) February 28, 1981 – May 23, 1981
- Stefan of the Wanderers and Beau Marishka May 23, 1981 – May 27, 1983
- Koris Natterhelm May 28, 1983 – June 2, 1984
- Beau Marishka (Vicaress) June 2, 1984 – August 25, 1984
- Koris Natterhelm August 25, 1984 – December 15, 1984
- Stefan of the Wanderers and Beau Marishka December 15, 1984 – April 11, 1992
- Needham Inigo Bledsoe and Susan the Midwife April 11, 1992 – September 21, 1996
- Iric BlackElk (Vicar) September 21, 1996 – December 21, 1996
- Needham Inigo Bledsoe and Susan the Midwife December 21, 1996 – May 24, 1997
- Artan macAilín (Vicar) May 24, 1997 – May 25, 1997 (overnight)
- Kragon of Land's End and Sarah de Montgomerie May 25, 1997 – May 27, 2000
- Alexander Trevor and Fermina de Caballo May 27, 2000 – May 28, 2004
- Ryan de Caergybi and Tana a l'Esprit Fort May 28, 2004 – July 8, 2006
- Gregor von Munchaasen and Monika the Fair July 8, 2006 – June 27, 2009
- Hrorek Wolfson and Slaine inghean Ui Sheanain June 27, 2009 – September 11, 2010
- Slaine inghean Ui Sheanain September 11, 2010 – December 17, 2011
- Otto Schwarz Herz and Elisée de Calais December 17, 2011 – April 5, 2014
- Bardolf Gundwaldtsson and Sabiha al-Zarqa al-Karakiyya April 5, 2014 – September 24, 2016
- Marc Antoine de la Rue and Bianca de Vittoria September 24, 2016 – Present
- Baron: THL Marc Antoine de la Rue
- Baroness: Mistress Bianca de Vittoria
- Seneschal: Mistress Melodia Shaw
- Knight Marshal: Lady Phaidra Thebaia
- Reeve: Lord Edric Capellarius
- Arts & Sciences Minister: Mistress Ceridwen de Gyrlyngton
- Hospitaller: Sir Rowland de Grey of Lincolnshire
- Chronicler: Constantine de La Cortez
- Rapier Marshal: Don Michael M'Quilline
- Webmistress: Sir Buqu
- Scorpion Pursuivant: Lady Grainne Sochair
- Mistress of the Lists: THL Johanna Morganstern
- Quartermaster: Lord Gilbert le Verrat
- Captain of the Archers: Lord Mikhailo
- Equestrian: Mistress Ymanya Murray
- Scribe: Baroness Bronwen Blackwell
Arts & Sciences
- Order of the Russian Thistle (CRT) is presented to those persons who have worked in the arts and shared their talents with other members of the Barony.
- Order of the Watchfire is given to those persons who have demonstrated excellence in the art of archery.
- Order of the Espada de Oro (CEO) is given to those persons who have demonstrated excellence in the art of fencing.
- Hammer of al-Barran (CEO) is given to those persons who have demonstrated excellence in the art of Heavy Fighting.
- Order of the Scorpion's Sting (CSS) is presented to those persons who have demonstrated their Exceptional skill in the fighting arts; both teaching and skill.
- Guido of al-Barran is given to heavy fighters for participation in the Baronial forces on the field of battle in War.
- Cordon Scorpion of al-Barran is given to fencers for participation in Baronial forces on the field of battle in War.
- Black Mantle of al-Barran is given to archers for participation in Baronial forces on the field of battle in War.
- Order of Antares Kano is given to newer members of the Barony who have shown their worth in a short amount of time.
- Order of the Scorpion of al-Barran is given to those persons who have given many hours of service to the furtherance of the Barony.
- Order of the Desert Fawn (CDF) is given to those members fifteen years of age and under who have consistently demonstrated the ideals of nobility, virtue, and grace in their behavior.
Chivalry and Gentility
- Order of the Heart of the Scorpion of al-Barran (CHSA) is given to those persons who, being at all times an example of chivalry, gentility, nobility and authenticity, are most exemplary in the conduct of themselves, to the greater credit and worth of al-Barran.
The Barony hosts several events throughout the year. The largest being Grand Outlandish held over Memorial Day weekend each year. It is at this event each year where a new Lord of Outlandish and Lady of May is determined. Other events include Sworded Affair, Mid-Winter, Esperanza, and a yearly tournament in November to benefit Toys for Tots. Also the College of Blaiddwyn hosts Pack Games and Winter Wolf and encourages the full participation of the Barony.
Here is a sample list of Households in al-Barran. Listed Alphabetically:
Royalty from al-Barran
Kings and Queens of the Outlands from al-Barran
- Gunwaldt and Aelflaed - June 14, 1986 - November 1, 1986
- Johann and Kathryn - November 1, 1986 - May 30, 1987
- Artan and Tara - May 30, 1987 - November 7, 1987
- Artan II and Tara - November 5, 1988 - May 6, 1989
- Johann II and Layla - May 6, 1989 - November 4, 1989
- Leif and Ishtar - November 4, 1989 - May 3, 1990
- Artan III and Aziza - May 3, 1990 - November 4, 1990
- Johann III and Monika - November 4, 1990 - May 4, 1991
- Leif II and Elisheva - May 1, 1993 - November 6, 1993
- Artan IIII and Aziza - May 7, 1994 - November 5, 1994
- Vagn and Thora - November 5, 1994 - May 13, 1995
- Hrothger and Madigan - May 13, 1995 - November 11, 1995
- Artan V and Aziza - November 11, 1995 - May 11, 1996
- Torn and Elisheva - November 9, 1996 - May 10, 1997
- Lycurgus and Mikulina - May 10, 1997 - November 8, 1997
- Cameron and Anne Aliz - November 8, 1997 - May 9, 1998
- Hrothger II and Madigan - May 9, 1998 - November 14, 1998
- Lycurgus and Mikulina - May 8, 1999 - November 13, 1999
- Martino and Aindrea - November 13, 1999 - May 13, 2000
- Jaxarticus and Kathryn - November 9, 2002 - May 10, 2003
- Hrorek and Caoilfhionn - November 12, 2005 - May 13, 2006
- Alrik and Slaine - November 10, 2007 - May 10, 2008
- Alrik II and Salomea - November 8, 2008 - May 9, 2009
- Alrik III and Salomea - May 8, 2010 - present
Prince and Princesses of the Outlands from al-Barran
- Gunwaldt and Aislinn - May 29, 1977 - December, 17 1977
- Heinrich and Lorene - December 17, 1977 - July 8, 1978
- Wielhelm and Megan - July 8, 1978 - December 30, 1978
- Heinrich and Irminsul - December 30, 1978 - June 30, 1979
- Robin and Beau - June 30, 1979 - January 19, 1980
- Gunwaldt and Aelflaed - July 5, 1980 - January 17, 1981
- Stefan and Beau - July 5, 1981 - January 23, 1982
- Montegar and Irminsul - January 15, 1983 - August 20, 1983
- Eldr and Angelica - August 20, 1983 - January 21, 1983
- Michael and Keridwen - January 21, 1984 - March 11, 1984
- Michael and Keridwen - November 17, 1984 - May 4, 1985
Lords and Ladies of the Outlands from al-Barran
- Bren and Simonetta - February 14, 1976 - May 31, 1976
- Ulrich and Roxanne -- May 31, 1976 - November 14, 1976
- Stephan and Penelope -- November 14, 1976 - May 29, 1977
Kings and Queens of Atenveldt from al-Barran
- Theo and Salene - March 3, 1979 - July 21, 1979
- Koris II and Leah - July 21, 1979 - January 5, 1980 (Steppes, Ansteorra during their first reign)
- Heinrich and Sara - January 5, 1980 - June 7, 1980 (Sara was an Ansteorran)
- Einrich and Shaleaya - June 7, 1980 - December 6, 1980
- Johann II and Malinda - December 6, 1980 - July 4, 1981 (Caerthe during their first reign)
- Einrich and Myrby - May 30, 1982 - December 4, 1982
- al-Barran Home Page
- al-Barran Discussion Group
- al-Barran Wikipedia Article
- Blaiddwyn Home Page
- Blaiddwyn Discussion Group
|Baronies of the Outlands|
|Barony of al-Barran | Barony of Caer Galen | Barony of Caerthe | Barony of Citadel of the Southern Pass | Barony of Dragonsspine | Barony of Fontaine dans Sable | Barony of Unser Hafen|