Fibre Arts covers the production of thread and cloth from fibres. The arts include shearing, carding, spinning, weaving, felting, fulling, knitting, dyeing, and printing. Materials can come from animals (wool from sheep, silk from silk worm cocoons), plants (linen from flax, cotton, hemp) or from a blend of materials.
Fibre Arts in the SCA
Many players in the SCA like to practise these art forms. There are several ways to contact someone in your local area to learn more about/share knowledge about the fibre arts:
- Contact a local guild that covers fibre arts (if there is one)
- Walk up and talk to anyone who is practising a fibre art at an event
- Practise a fibre art at an event, to draw in others who do the same
- Ask around in person and on email lists for your local area if anyone does fibre arts
- Ask your local laurel council if there are any laurels for fibre arts in your area
Guilds for Fibre Arts
Many kingdoms and smaller areas have guilds that cover the fibre arts. Some, such as the Fibre Guild of Lochac, encompass every aspect of the fibre arts, while others, such as the East Kingdom's Worshipful Company of Narrowworkers maintain very focussed fields of interest.